Sunday, April 26, 2009

Nic-Out Filter Review


A week or so ago I mentioned that I purchased a few things from QuitSmoking.com to help me quit smoking. One of those items was Nic-Out. Nic-Out is a device that fits on the filter end of a cigarette. It acts as an additional filter for your cigarettes. But what this filter does is simply amazing. Here are a few of the company's claims:
  • Nic-Out cigarette filters remove over 90% of the tar and nicotine from your cigarette.
  • Does not affect cigarette taste or temperature
  • One pack of Nic-Out is good for 150 regular or 300 light cigarettes
  • Turns 1 pack into 2 cigarettes
  • The clear Nic-Out filters let you see exactly what is being removed from your very first cigarette.
Now, I am not a scientist and do not have access to any scientific equipment, so I cannot verify the claim that the filters remove 90% of the tar and nicotine, but after using a few of these filters, I believe that they do remove some "crap" from cigarettes.

Nic-Out is sold in boxes of 30 filters. The box is the size of a pack of cigarettes. If you purchase them from QuitSmoking.com, the cost is $6.50 per box if you purchase 1 box. If you purchase more than 1 box, the cost per box decreases. When you pull a fresh filter out of the package, it looks like this:

There is nothing fancy about the filter. It is clear with a yellow filtering device in the middle. There is a round end that fits around the filter of your cigarette, and the opposite end goes in your mouth. You smoke a cigarette as you normally would. I did not notice any difference in the taste of my cigarettes. Okay, so do you want to see what happens after you smoke a cigarette with a Nic-Out filter?

This is the filter after 1 "Light" cigarette:
Notice the dark area around the middle of the filter. I am not sure exactly what that is, so I will just call it "crap". Whatever it is, without the Nic-Out filter, it would have made its way into my throat and lungs.

Here is the filter after 5 "Light" cigarettes:
More "crap" that did not make it into my lungs!

And here is the filter after 10 "Light" cigarettes:
Pretty gross, huh? That is after only 10 cigarettes. A 1/2 a pack! Just imagine the build up of that crap in your lungs after many years of smoking! Does that make you want to quit? It has given me more incentive to quit, that's for sure!

Like I said earlier, I am unable to prove their claims that Nic-Out removes 90% of the tar and nicotine from cigarettes, but after using the filters, I beleive they remove something. And something is better than nothing!

One last note. They say that 1 box is good for 150 regular cigarettes or 300 light cigarettes. That means that 1 filter can be used for up to 5 regular cigarettes and 10 light cigarettes. I used light cigarettes and I have to say that 10 light cigarettes is the max. After 8 or 9 cigarettes, the filter starts tasting like like an old cigarette. Have you ever smoke part of a cigarette, put it out in an ashtray and went back later to finish smoking it? It kinda tastes like that...that old and stale cigarette taste.

Overall, I was impressed with the filter. I was skeptical at first, but after seeing the "crap" build up in the filter with each cigarette, I think that Nic-Out is a good product. I like the fact that you can actually see the "crap" getting trapped in the filter. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about quitting smoking.

5 comments:

  1. I think I will look for that for my daughter. Let her see what she is sucking in.
    You are doing a good deal of research, it will all help with your quit.
    grannyny-quitnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grannyny,

    The filters really do make you stop and think about smoking and all of the stuff you are breathing into your lungs. Anything to help us quit smoking. QuitSmoking.com has these filters in stock, as well as a lot of other similar filters and other stop smoking aids. When I bought them I think I only paid $6.50 for them, which is a pretty small price to pay if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Canada and I pay $3.50 for a box of 30. I keep them in my car purse or any where I smoke so I don't forget to use them. It totally grosses me out to see what's in the filter and is really helping me cut down. Along with will power & my surgeons insistence I know I can do this! It's the only life I've got and its never to late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, my cough went away in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also in Canada and a discount provider sells them for 2:50 per pack of 30
    6:50 is a rip off, they work great I use them with Bull's Eye cigars as the government made them take the filter off they deemed this a cigar, i highly recommend using them

    ReplyDelete