Friday, May 15, 2009

A Dilemma

I decided to increase the number of perforations from 3 to 4. By doing so, I have entered the last step of Phase 1 of my quit smoking plan. So far I have found transitions to more perforations quite easy. The first day or so after I start using an additional perforation is a little hard, but not bad at all. It just takes some getting used to.

Now that I am on the last step of Phase 1, I will start to slowly work on Phase 2. If you have not read my quit smoking plan, in Phase 2 I focus on the habit of smoking. I will work on training my mind that I do not need cigarettes to get through life. I will start by cutting out cigarettes that I don't need. For example, when I walk across campus, I do not need a cigarette to make it to my destination AND a cigarette to make it back to my office. I have already begun to cut some of these cigarettes out. When I am at work, I no longer carry my cigarettes with me. I leave them on my desk.

So here is my dilemma. I am just now starting Phase 2 of the plan. And I only have 2 packs of cigarettes left. I could just say that after these 2 packs, I am done smoking. But I also think I should spend some time working on Phase 2. If I just stop smoking after these 2 packs, I think I will fail. I think the withdrawal and cravings will be too much for me to handle. I know that even after I complete Phase 2 that there will be some withdrawal, but I don't think it will be as severe.

In order to work on Phase 2, I will need cigarettes. But I am tired of paying the high prices for cigarettes. I also do not want to buy more cigarettes than I will need. I am used to buying cigarettes by the carton. Maybe I should start buying a few packs at a time. I guess I could try that and see what happens. Well, I think I just solved my dilemma. I will just start buying cigarettes by the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment